"The reality of the other person lies not in what he reveals to you, but what he cannot reveal to you. Therefore, if you would understand him, listen not to what he says, but rather to what he does not say." --Kahlil Gibran

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Why? From Payton to Peyton

Why is it that, as a fan of a sport I have never played, a fan of a team that plays in a city in which I do not live, I am so affected by this team's loss in the Super Bowl?

The only thing that makes it a little easier is that the loss comes to a coach, Tony Dungy, and a quarterback, Peyton Manning, who seem to have the utmost integrity and character. I would have cheered them on had they not been playing Chicago. So, good for them.

But, back to the original question...which I can only attempt to answer for myself.

When I was 10 years old and still questioning why my father spent so much time watching footall, I was introduced, if only by media, to people that were larger than life, but connected to football. Brian Piccolo and Walter Payton.

I didn't fall in love with football and I didn't understand the heart of an athlete until Brian Piccolo and Walter Payton. Tonight's loss hurts because 23 years ago the Bears' jersey was what I connected with my initial conceptualization of who and what I wanted to be as a person and an athlete.

There has been a short string of other athletes that have shown me how to play and live to celebrate character, integrity, ethics, family, but few like those I was introduced to when I was 10.

...Luckily, what I learned to be the heart of an athlete is reflected in the man who did lead his team to victory tonight. Even though the Bears lost, what I learned from Walter Payton at 10, I see carried out in one of the few, Peyton Manning, today.

Now...what about Rex Grossman...

A whole other blog!

1 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

God, Grossman pissed me off. If he hadn't sucked so badly, they would have won it. Dropped snaps everywhere, interceptions everywhere. Did he walk onto the team last week? WTF?!

9:47 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home