"The reality of the other person lies not in what he reveals to you, but what he cannot reveal to you. Therefore, if you would understand him, listen not to what he says, but rather to what he does not say." --Kahlil Gibran

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Lockdown!

We (Ottawa Hills High School) had our first real "lockdown" today. It wasn't a drill. I am still not quite sure on the details, but in light of everything that has been going on in the news recently, I would be remiss to say that I wasn't concerned. Roughly...here are the details as I am aware of them at all. Three teenage males from a local Toledo Public School were seen in the University of Toledo area. I don't know who called or where the accusation came from, but supposedly, one of the young men lifted his shirt and flashed a gun. Toledo police, University of Toledo police, Sylvania, police, and Ottawa Hills police responded. They chased the young men into the small community that is Ottawa Hills. Most of the action went down in the neighborhood yards and in the area right outside of the high school building. We were put on lockdown because not only was one of the boys suspected of having a gun, but the police were drawn in pursuit of the suspect... Regardless of what was happening outside the school, I was sitting with 22 students in a corner of my classroom, on the floor, with the shades drawn, and the lights off. We are supposed to instruct the kids to remain quiet, but I allowed them to not only talk, but discuss, to feel what they were feeling. They handled it well at that point in time, but I wonder how they feel tonight. Do they feel like I feel? Are they questioning and going through the "what ifs"? Even though I am questioning those things, as well as my own existance, etc..., I am also stuck questioning if those boys really had a gun...or if they were just suspicious in the wrong neighborhood. Were they in any way profiled? So much on my mind tonight about this. Whoever, whatever you believe in... please find a way to send me positive energy. I will keep you all updated.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harp, that's rough. Have you found out anything else about the situation? The amount of school violence in the last weeks has been crazy. It makes me think something is fundamentally wrong with us (as a society). I'm glad you are all right.

12:18 PM

 
Blogger Adam said...

Lots of ions coming your way. You said positive right? =P

12:57 PM

 
Blogger kat869 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:40 PM

 
Blogger kat869 said...

Bec, the recent violence viewed on television the last few weeks makes me want to stay far from the set. It's heart-wrenching and disturbing enough when it is far from home and you never think you'd find YOURSELF in that situation.
I half-heartedly agree that teachers should pack some heat when and if these incidents arise. I hope in your case that it never has to come to that.
Think happy thoughts...your beautiful daughter, Simon, and the love of a good guy! (Though it may only make you miss the latter of them).
LOVE YA SIS!

8:44 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beck, I can't believe you had to go through that. We've chatted about it so much here. It's hard cause we're all put into such a vulnerable situation. I'm so glad you are safe and that no one was hurt at your school.

It is hard to find the right positive words to pick you up, but just keep your head on your shoulders and keep talking to those kids. The relationships you build cannot be broken by the actions of one disturbed person.

I love you and miss you! give mads hugs for me.

6:17 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home