"The reality of the other person lies not in what he reveals to you, but what he cannot reveal to you. Therefore, if you would understand him, listen not to what he says, but rather to what he does not say." --Kahlil Gibran

Thursday, February 22, 2007

A part of who I want to be...

I was doing well keeping up with the blog until recently, but I finally have a worthy excuse. My grandmother, my Busia, died Sunday, never having fully recovered from a stroke a little over 2 years ago.

93. 93 years she was here. Amazing. 90 of those years were witness to so much love and life around her. Let me tell you a little.

She married the love of her life, Frank (who preceded her in death in 1989) and had 7 children. She stayed home and raised her family in the true Polish-Catholic tradition. She even prayed in Polish. She lived to see 15 grandchildren produce 26 great-grandchildren (and 2 more were on the way).

Although she was beautiful, she didn't care about her appearance. And the only thing she cared about weight, was putting some on everyone who came into her home as she was a fantastic cook (the reason we are not allowed to buy store made paczis). She didn't care about politics. She didn't care about the ills of the world, because the ills of her home, her family came first.

This simple, little Polish woman, who was so strong in faith and love was never known by me in the way that I am writing about her until now.

She loved. That was her life.

She lost her husband to cancer after 51 years of marriage, and it wasn't perfect, but it was love.

So, I am learning something as I write to you about where I have been. I am learning that I can care about things, but they shouldn't be my concern. Love. That should come first.

Beauty. Weight. Politics. We focus and concern ourselves on so much sometimes other than the things that we might miss if we don't stop to just do what comes easiest and the most natural.

Just love.

So, in tribute the grandmother that I wish I would have been closer to and understood before she left this earth...I will begin to fight for her cause...Wake up every morning and be happy with yourself because you love and are loved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home