"The reality of the other person lies not in what he reveals to you, but what he cannot reveal to you. Therefore, if you would understand him, listen not to what he says, but rather to what he does not say." --Kahlil Gibran

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The final days

The 2005-2006 school year is winding to a close. Although graduation is not until June 9, the seniors are taking their finals today and tomorrow.

One period down.

Most of you who know me, know that I struggled this year with the apathy from the students. It was overwhelming! Usually...just a few kids, but this year was the most unenjoyable year in my almost eight years in the classroom.

But...during period one (this is the class with which I had the most problems because 50% of the class would be what you would call the "popular" kids), I became frustrated yet again. Blatant talking during a final. General misbehaving and screwing around from the same kids who caused most of the grief all year round.

I commented that I was getting exactly what I expected from certain students in the classroom.

Then...I looked at Maria, Musa, Ryan, Ryan, Elyse, Yvonne and many more kids...kids who tried all year round and were just as frustrated as I was, maybe more...they have more than one class with that group of kids.

But, I told myself, hold onto them. Remember them. Remember Maria's empathetic smile. Remember Ryan, a part of the popular group, distancing himself with a wry smile, a raised hand, and a correct answer. Remember Musa. Mastered the English language in less than two years. Remember Jeff, Dacia, Kyle, Katie, Sean and a whole list more who saw what I had to offer and grabbed at it.

I leave my teaching career with confused thoughts and emotions. I am glad it is over for now. Will I miss it? Will I come back? I don't know.

But, it is changed. In the eight years I have been teaching, it has changed. Or, maybe I have?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home