"The reality of the other person lies not in what he reveals to you, but what he cannot reveal to you. Therefore, if you would understand him, listen not to what he says, but rather to what he does not say." --Kahlil Gibran

Monday, January 16, 2006

Grocery Shopping

Grocery Shopping and Depression. I need a drink. Good thing I bought a bottle.

I want to create healthy meals for myself and my family.

Not very easy.

What is "healthy" is over-priced and/or still includes so many pesticides, chemicals, preservatives etc, etc that it defeats the purpose of being called "healthy."

Oh, but the real junk. Hmmm. Ready in abundance and all on sale.

Our bodies don't stand a chance.

I spent $145.o0 for a combination of items that I have no business putting in my families' bodies (I tried the, "If I can't pronounce the ingredients, I won't purchase this" but whoa did that fail), and items that I generally feel good about.

But, I was still depressed. If you truly want to raise a healthy family, you have to have more money than you know what to do with.

Isn't there something wrong with that?

Fortunately, I get it... the food industry and the pharmacuedical (sp) industry rely on one another. They have the healthiest relationship of all.

Grocery Shopping.

2 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

Yeah, it's tough. I also have a hard time cooking at all seeing as how I live alone. No motivation whatsoever.

11:28 PM

 
Blogger edluv said...

we've found little ways to get out cheaper.

the first is shopping @ foodmax. frankly, i don't always like their veggie section, but the prices are better, they use local (ca.) farmers when available, and did i mention it was cheaper.

the second is foster farms chicken. nonhormone injected, non saline injected, not fed other chickens. not quite organic, but almost. we buy the thin sliced chicken breast. they aren't thick and huge like the typical chicken breast, but i find this to actually be a better portion size for me, alongside some rice or pasta and veggies.

the third is making sure that the bread i buy is from whole wheat flour, which isn't usually the case for wheat bread. but, foodmax has their brand in it for like a buck a loaf.

did i say i like foodmax? it's not next store like albertsons, but i find the savings more than worth the drive to blackstone & barstow. and, i don't know, food4less doesn't do it for me. or foodsco.

brown rice instead of white rice is the next easy change we made. (although currently we have the white). the drawback is it takes about one hour prep time rather than 20 minutes.

i suppose it all comes down to that: do you want it now, or are you willing to take longer preparation time? the jay used to have a tshirt in which he wrote "convenience kills" on in sharpie. it was funny that he cheesely wrote it, but it was true. this processed crap we put in our bodies over and over takes a toll. and it's hard to do it better, especially if you don't have the cash to always buy organic fresh vittles.

10:57 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home