"The reality of the other person lies not in what he reveals to you, but what he cannot reveal to you. Therefore, if you would understand him, listen not to what he says, but rather to what he does not say." --Kahlil Gibran

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Just like Goldilocks!

Wow! I am at Monroe High School in Michigan today visiting my friend Sara's classroom. I needed this experience to remember why I went into teaching, what I like about teaching, what makes me a good teacher, and that there is such a thing as TOO HARD and TOO EASY on students.

When I began my teaching career in 1998, I was too easy, too nice. I didn't want to offend kids or hurt their feelings. Not that any teacher wants to hurt kids' feelings, but I wanted them to like me. I was way too friendly. I allowed my students to tell me things that I had no business knowing. I wasn't prepared in college to handle the information students were telling me. Unfortunately, I thought that if I were "friends" with my students then they would do their work.

Then, I realized that students had plenty of friends. Most students now-a-days are also coming from homes where their parents want to be their friends, too. Where are these students getting discipline? Where are they being taught how to think for themselves? Where are they being taught the ability to converse with different people with different abilities?

Me.

I went into teaching because I generally like teenagers and I want them to have someone to teach them while being disciplined and friendly at the same time. Just like I had. (Thank you Mrs. Al-Hayani, Mr. Gorringe, Mr. Schultz, Mr. Green).

I like watching students reach an epiphany. It is so satisfying. I like the interaction. I like teenagers! Teaching really is one of the best professions imaginable (that is when government and admin. allow teachers to do their jobs to the best of their abilities :) )!

Monroe High School...too easy.
Sanger High School...too hard? No, not really. But, I have been. Because California standards are some of the strictest in the nation and my own personal high expectations, I have forgotten that I am dealing with kids who have no or little discipline (there are some...blanket statements being made) and that they are ONLY KIDS.

(Before I go any further, to those of you who know me that are reading this, yes, I do realize I am sometimes too hard on Madissen. That is because I spend all day with students who have very little. I am working on that as a seperate issue.)

I am looking forward to 2006 for so many reasons. I needed this trip back here to get my past in check, to get my life in order. And, I did just that.

I am looking forward to my return with my daughter to Fresno to be with Joe'l, to be in the company of good friends, and to get back to a job that I do love and I am good at.

It wasn't a restful vacation, but life lessons are worth much much more.

Not too hard. Not too soft. Just right!

(I'll be home SATURDAY, January 7th)!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I am SO glad you like teenagers. Somebody has to, and it isn't me. I didn't like teenagers when I was a teenager. In order to continue the survival of the species, somebody has to like them, so I would say you're doing a great service to humanity. Congratulations!

And Happy New Year!

7:34 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home