"The reality of the other person lies not in what he reveals to you, but what he cannot reveal to you. Therefore, if you would understand him, listen not to what he says, but rather to what he does not say." --Kahlil Gibran

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Decisions, Decisions

I realize that I need not make any decisions about my future TODAY, but I would like to feel that I had some direction. I am going to be 32 this year. My daughter will be 9.

When my daughter graduates from high school, I will be 41, which is young enough to start that second career in politics that has been calling me...

I have been thinking lately that I would like to go back to grad. school to get my master's in public relations. This degree would allow me many, many opportunities for life after 40.

Unless...

I still want to marry Joe'l. I think I may even want another child (or two) with him. He's 24 right now, and not ready for marriage or children. That is okay...right now...because neither am I.

But...

I can't say that I won't be ready sooner than he will. I know I will be.

Then I look at life at 41. Married. My oldest a high school graduate. A 4 year old? A 2 year old? All of a sudden I am 56 at the graduation of my youngest. Is that fair to either one of us? Would I be able to have a different career? Would I still want to try a new career if I were newly married and adding to my family? Would I be as involved with children later in life as I was with Madissen? How would I adjust to being a mother with a partner instead of a single mother being both? It is scarey.

Meanwhile...

I will breathe. I will live. I will love. I will continue to learn.

Maybe...

I should just accept life as it happens and not think of everything as a plan?

Maybe sounds nice.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I think it's interesting that you call it "a career in politics." Is there one over-arching goal that you want to accomplish, or is it that you want to be involved in political life? Am I asking that clearly?

Also, do you want to be the politician, or one of the people behind the politician/movement?

7:26 AM

 
Blogger Rebecca said...

I want to be one of the people behind the politician/movement.

I have done that kind of volunteer work for many years, yet never saw it as work, but I wonder...is it because the grass is always greener?

10:56 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home