"The reality of the other person lies not in what he reveals to you, but what he cannot reveal to you. Therefore, if you would understand him, listen not to what he says, but rather to what he does not say." --Kahlil Gibran

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Too Little Too Late

So it has been a while since my last posting. I have been incredibly busy getting ready for finals, both at my high school and for the work I am doing at Fresno Pacific. While I am getting caught up, it occurred to me that I hadn't had a chance to deal with any feelings or questions that I had about the execution of Stanley "Tookie" Williams. This is from where the title to my posting comes. I knew too little too late.

In years passed, I have often found myself in favor of the death penalty, even though it goes against tradition liberal beliefs. After attempting to do "research" (a lot of reading of different perspectives), I am saddened to to say that I believe we got this one wrong.

My heart aches for a nation hell bent on instilling morality into its citizens through a conservative, Christian perspective. Although not Christian myself, I recognize when it is necessary to turn the other cheek and when it is necessary to take the eye.

I am sorry that the governor of California was unable to detect the difference. I am sorry this society cannot see passed itself and what it has created. I am sorry I was made aware of too little too late.

From denigrating aspects of his trial, to inconclusive physical evidence, to no African-Americans being permitted on his jury, to four Nobel peace prize nominations, to 150,000 REPORTED lives saved through his influence...We have made a grave error.

I now question...If I believe we have gotten this one wrong...How many others have there been and are there. How many men or women are sitting on death row because they were convicted in an era that tolerated racial slurs and denigrating references as a legal part of a trial. How many men and women have seen their civil rights stripped before their eyes while a racist, hand-selected jury nodded in agreement.

Our society is racist. Our society is classist. Our society will be what condemns itself. Our society wants to call itself Christian, while giving true Christians a bad name. Ohhh....The irony.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ceck out ed's blog they have an interesting conversation going on about Catholics

12:25 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Dang, I went there because I thought stigs said alcoholics were interesting.

...maybe drinking at work was a bad idea... too late now!

3:15 PM

 
Blogger edluv said...

a good portion of our society doesn't want to be called Christian. i don't. i don't think adam does either.

5:14 PM

 
Blogger Rebecca said...

I was speaking of that voted red :) No really, I realize that people such as yourself and Adam and many others do not pigeon-hole themselves into the confines of a label. I was speaking of the group that makes laws and tries to pass laws claiming "for the good of the people" as God would want. I used a rather stereotypical blanket terms in reference for morality-based government officials. Thanks pointing out the obvious I missed.

8:49 PM

 
Blogger Rebecca said...

Ed...also...a good portion of our society is also not racist or classist, as I am not, but the reality is that "We Shall Overcome" 2 steps forward, 1 step back.

9:05 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home