"The reality of the other person lies not in what he reveals to you, but what he cannot reveal to you. Therefore, if you would understand him, listen not to what he says, but rather to what he does not say." --Kahlil Gibran

Monday, December 26, 2005

Where do I belong?

Being born in Toledo, Ohio and then moving to the quaint suburb bedroom community of Swanton, Ohio, I always felt that there was something more in life that was awaiting me...a chance albeit to explore who I was supposed to be where I was supposed to be.
I graduated from Swanton High School, went to the University of Toledo (because of affordability, not choice) got married for reasons still inexplicable at the tender age of 20, had a child (the best part of the whole scenario) and divorced by the age of 26. Something in my life was missing though. I was a single mother at the age of 26 with a degree to teach high school English, but I didn't know who I was, or where I was supposed to be.
For undisclosed reasons for the moment, I found myself headed to the Central Valley of California. Even though I was leaving the biggest part of my life behind, my father, I knew I would never be physically leaving him. He understood why I thought I had to go. A lot of people from "home" thought I was crazy. "It won't work." "You'll be back soon." "You're making a terrible mistake." "How can you be so selfish?" I will admit, at the time, it was selfish. I was looking to make myself happy. My justification was if I was happy then my daughter would be happy.
My first two years in the Fresno area were not what I expected them to be. The reason I has originally moved to Fresno was not working. At the end of those two years, it felt as though my life was worse in Fresno than from where I had come. I was failing here, too. There were plenty of times that I thought, "It doesn't matter where I am. I am going to fail anywhere I go." I started to think that was part of my make up. That I could go wherever, whenever and the outcome would be the same. I thought I was ready to go again. If I was going to fail, I might as well fail someplace new. At least the scenery would be different.
But, I stayed. And, I am still here.
I met a friend that I told in October of 2004 was the real reason I was brought to Fresno. I needed her and in many ways, and I hope I am not wrong in saying this, I believe she needed me. Stig brought me into her world and welcomed me with open arms. Her world is nice. Her world is her family and her family is her friends.
Stig, Adam, Kendall, Ed, Heather, Fish, Katie, Sara, Woody, Jay, Tim, Joe'l who is the cypress which stands by my side...and then to add each person connected to these wonderful people are the beginnings of the family that my daughter and I deserve. Good people. Good hearts.
Do I miss people back "home"? Yes, for they are still family, too, and they, too are good people with good hearts. But...
Where do I belong?
I think I have found the answer to that question.

8 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

'Tis the season for kind words. Thanks for that.

3:54 PM

 
Blogger edluv said...

not exactly jesus and santa dukin it out.

glad that we can be a part of your lives, as well as have you in ours.

9:25 PM

 
Blogger kendalljean said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:49 PM

 
Blogger kendalljean said...

I am so grateful that our paths have crossed as well. I feel the same way about our growing Fresno family, and Stig truly is to thank for it. And Harp... you know how thankful I am to have you in my life now as well! Enjoy the midwest family!

10:50 PM

 
Blogger kendalljean said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:50 PM

 
Blogger kendalljean said...

sorry for the mess...trying to fix a spelling error and it got out of hand with all the "comment(s) deleted"

I am still a newbie on here! :)

10:54 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harp, I've said it many times, just as much as you needed me, I need you. Each person that enters each of our lives are there for a reason. I was fortunate enough to know and be introduced to such wonderful people that have such open and welcoming hearts. Safe travels see you in 206!!! (hahahahaha)

11:40 PM

 
Blogger timidvenus said...

wow...i was having the crappiest day and just read that. harp, you made my week! so, thanks.

and i am glad you are here (well, not here in bakersfield, but you know what i mean).

4:38 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home